The risk of electric shock is a serious hazard in any dwelling, which can result in severe burns and even death. To prevent these risks – and to protect all the inhabitants of your home – it is essential to do electrical safety check, both in the installation and in the maintenance of various electrical equipments.
An electric shock happens when there is a passage of electric current through the human body, which can happen in two ways. The first is the direct contact with the electric current – when it moves directly on a cable or drills, with the drill, an electrical connection inside the wall, for example. The second is indirect contact, when the body comes in contact with defective metal equipment – a faulty or poorly insulated household appliance, for example.
Find out what care to take to minimize the risk of electric shock in your home.
The first aspect you should keep in mind when considering the electrical safety of your home is the foundation of the system. Analyze the situation of the frame, sockets and wiring, ensuring that all these elements comply with safety standards.
Regularly evaluate the operation of the differential device, which protects it in case of possible defects in the electrical installation. Click the test button installed on the switchboard: you should observe a total power cut. If it does not, contact a technician.
Do not use outlets and switches in a notoriously poor condition – damaged, yellowed or burned.
Ensure that the outlets are securely fastened to the wall with screws, not loosening when the plug of any equipment is removed.
Opt for sockets with shutters, which automatically shut off the power outlet and prevent outer objects from being inserted. In partitions with presence of water, prefer the outlets with external protection (cover type).